A new client recently asked me for things that he could read, view, or do at home that would help him in his Feldenkrais journey. My blog is full of resources, but I thought it would be worth creating one blog post with a summary of all the resources.
Awareness through Movement (ATM) lessons
Awareness through Movement lessons are lessons where the teacher guides one or more students through a series of movements that help the student improve how they move. There are quite a few recorded lessons on the internet, some of which are free.
When doing an Awareness through Movement Lesson, remember, only do the movements that are easy and comfortable. These are not exercises. Rather they are opportunities to explore movement. Nothing is gained by going further, harder, or faster. Everything is gained by going at a pace and ease that allows for awareness and exploration.
Free lessons can be found at:
- Open ATM Project: A website devoted to offering ATM lessons for free.
- Lynette Reid: A Feldenkrais practitioner that posts many of the ATM lessons that she teaches.
- King County Library: Search for “AudioBooks” and “Feldenkrais”.
You can also buy lessons from major publishers like Amazon and Feldenkrais Resources. My teacher Jeff Haller sells recordings of individual lessons for $2.00 each.
- Learn more about Feldenkrais: a previous blog of mine with lots of videos describing the Feldenkrais method.
- Cathy Paine: She has some nice short 5 minute videos of simple lessons, e.g. Standing Straight and Tall and Jaw Pain Relief.
- The art of slowing down – a sense-able approach to running faster by Edward Yu. Though it was written for runners, the first 100 pages is a general description of the Feldenkrais philosophy.
- Slow Movement with Awareness: Better than Exercise? in Psychology Today by Alan Fogel
- Felenkrais Articles
- The Method by Robert Slatkin
- Getting to the Core: 4 Myths About Strengthening Your Abs by Stacy Barrows in the Huffington Post
- The Feldenkrais Method: Stress Free Exercise for People with Arthritis by David Zemach-Bersin and Mark Hirschfield
- Everyday Miracles: Understanding the Feldenkrais Method by Goldman and White
- The Feldenkrais Method® of Somatic Education by Pat Buchanan
- Lengthening the Hamstring Muscles Without Stretching Using “Awareness Through Movement” by James Stephens, Joshua Davidson, Joseph DeRosa, Michael Kriz and Nicole Saltzman. This is a research paper published in Physical Therapy: Journal of American Physical Therapy Association
More articles can be found at the Feldenkrais Guild of North America’s website.